Foods You Should Never Feed Your Dog
Dogs love eating people food, and with those adorable “feed me, I’m starving” eyes they make, sometimes it’s hard to resist tossing them a few scraps. But feeding your dog the wrong thing can lead to his death! So study up on this list before you let Fido snarf your snack, and if you’re worried about something your dog has eaten, call the ASPCA Poison Control Center at 888-426-4235.
Avocados make their own fungicide, called persin. Pretty cool, huh? But dogs are allergic to it (and some humans, too), so don’t let your dog near that guacamole. Persin is found in the seeds, leaves, and bark of avocado trees, too, so if you have an avocado tree in your yard, keep your dog away.
While it might be funny to watch a dog lapping up some beer (YouTube will attest to this), alcohol will make a pet intoxicated much quicker than it will have an effect on a human. Too much alcohol can quickly lead to alcohol poisoning and even death.
The caffeine found in coffee is a stimulant: that’s why so many of us need that cup to get going in the morning. But to a dog, such a stimulant can result in heart palpitations and muscle tremors. Letting your dog lick the foam off your cappuccino is not only unsanitary, but harmful to his health.
While we’re on the topic of cappuccino foam, it’s worth mentioning that milk isn’t good for your dog either. Humans have an enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk, but dogs don’t have very much of this enzyme. Ingesting milk can result in intestinal upset and even diarrhea. Water should be the only beverage your pup drinks.
Many of us have heard not to let dogs eat chocolate, but why? Chocolate contains a caffeine-like substance called theobromine, which wreaks havoc on a dog’s nervous system. It can result in vomiting, diarrhea, irregular heartbeat, tremors, seizures, and even death. Don’t panic, though: a ten-pound dog would have to eat an entire chocolate bar to be in any serious danger. Stay on the safe side and hide the chocolate in the refrigerator where your dog can’t get to it.